Sunday, November 8, 2009

Discovery Church: Kailey's a month late

Kailey:

Discovery Church, which meets in the same building as Status, has at least a similar feel to Status in some ways. If this is only or mostly due to the location and surroundings, I’m not certain. But I think there’s a certain demographic that naturally meets to worship in that building, and perhaps Discover and Status just represent slightly different expressions of that demographic. In any case, it felt familiar, so I’m not sure I got an accurate “first-time-at-this-church” experience.

It was an odd week to visit, and we might have to go back because of it. It was a service celebrating the last 25 years that Discovery has been Discovery. Not your typical service. It felt akin to when somebody gets the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Oscars. You’re expecting the announcement of Best Dolly Grip in an Animated Short Film, and then suddenly there’s this long nostalgic video about all of the roles Pacino played before he sank to the level of Satan in The Devil’s Advocate. The video really highlighted the Pastor and all his journeys. It was long, a bit superfluous for my taste, and for a visitor, it was possibly a bit of nostalgia overload. I was waiting for somebody to come down the isle selling commemorative plates.

In all other ways I like Discovery. They do a lot of really great things. Good messages. Good worship. Good Etc. I wouldn’t discourage anybody from attending. Everyone I know who goes there really enjoys it, and I trust their opinion.

It was just a bit of an awkward week to visit, I feel. We’ll head back and see a normal service when we have a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment